
Overall, the album seems very well crafted. Ariana’s voice is one of the strongest and most impactful of her generation, so any project she embarks on is interesting to some degree. Petal doesn’t disappoint, especially for Ari’s fans, blending her typical style into new forms.
I love how she includes so many background vocals of herself to accompany each song, giving the album a better sense of sound and depth. That’s very much in her style, and it works incredibly well because her voice is as impressive as ever.
The album never feels bland. It maintains a constant rhythm while still giving each song its own identity. It might not be her project with the most hits—excluding “Petal” and “Hate That I Made You Love Me” (both really great songs)- but it still doesn’t fail to impress. It’s not her best project, but it’s still really great even by Ariana’s high standards.
I also really like that unlike many albums, this one finishes on a happier, more upbeat note before ending with “Nowhere, Nobody,” which closes the whole project perfectly and makes it feel like a better overall listen.
From start to finish, it remains consistently good, with great writing and singing from Ariana and with a strong overall production. I especially liked “Oh Well,” where they went for a fast-paced beat and contrasted it with Ariana’s slower vocals. That contrast works really well.
I’m giving it 4 stars. Even though it’s very solid, it isn’t necessarily innovative enough for me to give it a 4.5 or a 5. It’s also important to take into account that this is a record where most of the songs grow on you after multiple listens. Some tracks might not immediately stand out, but they do become more enjoyable and interesting after you spend more time with the album.
Discussion
Agree, push back, or add what they missed.
Sign in to join the discussion.
No replies yet. Start the conversation.