
Props to Madonna for trying something like this at this stage of her career, and of course, she is an icon. However, I feel like a lot of the praise surrounding this album comes from the fact that it’s Madonna. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not bad, but I didn’t find it particularly memorable. Even the standouts, like “Bring Your Love,” fall behind some of Madonna’s other work, as well as Sabrina’s.
I mostly enjoyed the collaborations, which helped elevate each track. I especially liked Feid’s contribution to “Read My Lips,” . Also I really enjoyed the production on “Everything” and in “Betrayal” and the vocals in “Fragile”.
To be fair, a big part of the project’s importance and value comes from its impact, the music videos—which are really great—and the rollout surrounding it. But unlike something like “Brat” where the impact was accompanied by a strong project on its own, here I feel like the impact was more significant than the album itself.
I do want to give credit to the production. It’s quite strong and features some great transitions and effects that make the overall experience feel more immersive. I am sure this sound”s better in a disco or in a speaker.
Discussion
Agree, push back, or add what they missed.
Sign in to join the discussion.
No replies yet. Start the conversation.